    SubjectRe: Can we move device drivers into user-space?
    On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Henrik Rydberg <> wrote:
    >> > The main issue that set me off has been sufficiently diluted in the
    >> > (selective) discussion so as to no longer make sense as a reply: At
    >> > some point, in-tree or out-of-tree will no longer be distinguishable,
    >> Please explain how you would be unable to distinguish between a driver
    >> that lives in the kernel source tree, and one that does not.
    > The SUD pointed to in the beginning of the thread is an example of
    > this, but I was not thinking of it in quite so literal terms. Rather,
    > I was imagining that as the kernel grows and the in-kernel interfaces
    > matures, the amount of actual communication between different portions
    > of the code diminishes. Code on opposite sides of a stable interface
    > is, for all practical purposes, separated. Whether that code lives
    > in-tree or out-of tree is then of little consequence.
    > To try to prevent another flame war, let's make it clear that I am not
    > saying that the most powerful in-kernel argument, that code can be
    > changed, is unimportant. Maybe code, like so many other things,
    > arranges itself in a scale-free critical fashion, which would forever
    > warrant a monolithic approach. Maybe it would even make sense to have
    > userspace join the same tree as well. There is however a frofoundly
    > political aspect here, which cannot be expressed in terms of
    > code. Also, in practise, breaking things down into manageable chunks
    > is usually a good idea in the end.

    I do not see what prevents an in-kernel context switch into a ring 3
    context with a different process address space. Is it necessary to
    remove the code from the kernel tree before someone can do this?

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-02-26 13:29    [W:0.021 / U:0.716 seconds]