    SubjectRe: Can we move device drivers into user-space?
    > … and the performance is terrible --- as it must be.  If you don't
    > understand why this must be, then we're wasting our time having this
    > conversation.

    You are right, I don't understand the assumptions leading to that
    conclusion. It does not seem to stop people from experimenting with
    filesystems that do no even reside within the same computer (hdfs).

    > And if you're the one wanting to make a change, then you are the one
    > who has to provide the proof.

    I know the drill, and I obviously already got hit on the head. ;-)

    > Otherwise we're just talking about
    > hypotheticals, and that way lies over-design. Why waste time
    > engineering something that may never come to pass?

    This is a seriously defensive attitude, given that the thread was
    hypothetical from the start.

    > Of course, your time is something you are free to spend however you
    > like. So if you want to try implementing some of these grand plans
    > of yours, show us the code….

    If I put on rose-colored glasses and try really hard, I can almost
    interpret this as an invitation to share code.

    Thanks.
    Henrik