    SubjectRe: Linux 3.3-rc4
    On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

    > Holes are highly undesirable for another reason: they create security
    > holes where kernel information leaks out.

    .. however, this is not an argument for adding a *new* interface.

    You are still stuck handling the old one, so adding a new interface
    without holes doesn't help *anything*. It's just a bad idea.

    So we're stuck with the interfaces we have. Don't say "let's fix the
    problems by adding new ones". It doesn't work, it doesn't solve
    anything, and all it results in is even *more* interfaces to maintain
    and find bugs in.

    It's also a major pain for testing, since different people will
    invariably use different interfaces. So a person running an older
    distro will see a bug that the maintainer cannot reproduce, because
    they maintainer has in the meantime updated to all the new and
    "improved" interfaces.

    So "new and improved" is just bad. Fix the existing ones, instead of
    saying "oops, that was a bad interface so let's make a new one".
    Always.

    Linus

      Last update: 2012-02-21 06:35    [W:0.021 / U:62.760 seconds]