    SubjectRe: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Next gen kvm api
    On 02/02/2012 10:09 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
    > The kvm api has been accumulating cruft for several years now. This is
    > due to feature creep, fixing mistakes, experience gained by the
    > maintainers and developers on how to do things, ports to new
    > architectures, and simply as a side effect of a code base that is
    > developed slowly and incrementally.
    >
    > While I don't think we can justify a complete revamp of the API now, I'm
    > writing this as a thought experiment to see where a from-scratch API can
    > take us. Of course, if we do implement this, the new and old APIs will
    > have to be supported side by side for several years.
    >
    > Syscalls
    > --------
    > kvm currently uses the much-loved ioctl() system call as its entry
    > point. While this made it easy to add kvm to the kernel unintrusively,
    > it does have downsides:
    >
    > - overhead in the entry path, for the ioctl dispatch path and vcpu mutex
    > (low but measurable)
    > - semantic mismatch: kvm really wants a vcpu to be tied to a thread, and
    > a vm to be tied to an mm_struct, but the current API ties them to file
    > descriptors, which can move between threads and processes. We check
    > that they don't, but we don't want to.
    >
    > Moving to syscalls avoids these problems, but introduces new ones:
    >
    > - adding new syscalls is generally frowned upon, and kvm will need several
    > - syscalls into modules are harder and rarer than into core kernel code
    > - will need to add a vcpu pointer to task_struct, and a kvm pointer to
    > mm_struct
    >
    > Syscalls that operate on the entire guest will pick it up implicitly
    > from the mm_struct, and syscalls that operate on a vcpu will pick it up
    > from current.

    This seems like the natural progression.

    > State accessors
    > ---------------
    > Currently vcpu state is read and written by a bunch of ioctls that
    > access register sets that were added (or discovered) along the years.
    > Some state is stored in the vcpu mmap area. These will be replaced by a
    > pair of syscalls that read or write the entire state, or a subset of the
    > state, in a tag/value format. A register will be described by a tuple:
    >
    > set: the register set to which it belongs; either a real set (GPR,
    > x87, SSE/AVX, segment, cpuid, MSRs) or a fake set (for
    > eflags/rip/IDT/interrupt shadow/pending exception/etc.)
    > number: register number within a set
    > size: for self-description, and to allow expanding registers like
    > SSE->AVX or eax->rax
    > attributes: read-write, read-only, read-only for guest but read-write
    > for host
    > value

    I do like the idea a lot of being able to read one register at a time as often
    times that's all you need.

    > Device model
    > ------------
    > Currently kvm virtualizes or emulates a set of x86 cores, with or
    > without local APICs, a 24-input IOAPIC, a PIC, a PIT, and a number of
    > PCI devices assigned from the host. The API allows emulating the local
    > APICs in userspace.
    >
    > The new API will do away with the IOAPIC/PIC/PIT emulation and defer
    > them to userspace.

    I'm a big fan of this.

    > Note: this may cause a regression for older guests
    > that don't support MSI or kvmclock. Device assignment will be done
    > using VFIO, that is, without direct kvm involvement.
    >
    > Local APICs will be mandatory, but it will be possible to hide them from
    > the guest. This means that it will no longer be possible to emulate an
    > APIC in userspace, but it will be possible to virtualize an APIC-less
    > core - userspace will play with the LINT0/LINT1 inputs (configured as
    > EXITINT and NMI) to queue interrupts and NMIs.

    I think this makes sense. An interesting consequence of this is that it's no
    longer necessary to associate the VCPU context with an MMIO/PIO operation. I'm
    not sure if there's an obvious benefit to that but it's interesting nonetheless.

    > The communications between the local APIC and the IOAPIC/PIC will be
    > done over a socketpair, emulating the APIC bus protocol.
    >
    > Ioeventfd/irqfd
    > ---------------
    > As the ioeventfd/irqfd mechanism has been quite successful, it will be
    > retained, and perhaps supplemented with a way to assign an mmio region
    > to a socketpair carrying transactions. This allows a device model to be
    > implemented out-of-process. The socketpair can also be used to
    > implement a replacement for coalesced mmio, by not waiting for responses
    > on write transactions when enabled. Synchronization of coalesced mmio
    > will be implemented in the kernel, not userspace as now: when a
    > non-coalesced mmio is needed, the kernel will first flush the coalesced
    > mmio queue(s).
    >
    > Guest memory management
    > -----------------------
    > Instead of managing each memory slot individually, a single API will be
    > provided that replaces the entire guest physical memory map atomically.
    > This matches the implementation (using RCU) and plugs holes in the
    > current API, where you lose the dirty log in the window between the last
    > call to KVM_GET_DIRTY_LOG and the call to KVM_SET_USER_MEMORY_REGION
    > that removes the slot.
    >
    > Slot-based dirty logging will be replaced by range-based and work-based
    > dirty logging; that is "what pages are dirty in this range, which may be
    > smaller than a slot" and "don't return more than N pages".
    >
    > We may want to place the log in user memory instead of kernel memory, to
    > reduce pinned memory and increase flexibility.

    Since we really only support 64-bit hosts, what about just pointing the kernel
    at a address/size pair and rely on userspace to mmap() the range appropriately?

    > vcpu fd mmap area
    > Currently we mmap() a few pages of the vcpu fd for fast user/kernel
    > communications. This will be replaced by a more orthodox pointer
    > parameter to sys_kvm_enter_guest(), that will be accessed using
    > get_user() and put_user(). This is slower than the current situation,
    > but better for things like strace.

    Look pretty interesting overall.

    Regards,

    Anthony Liguori

      Last update: 2012-02-03 03:11    [W:0.041 / U:97.624 seconds]