SubjectRe: Linux 3.3-rc4
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:

> A real shame, this should have used "__aligned_u64" from the
> beginning.

I agree. Sadly, this is exactly the kind of thing that is *really*
easy to overlook, and once it is overlooked we're screwed because
fixing it just breaks the native 32-bit case.

We probably should have made __u64 itself be marked as aligned, but
that's too late now too, unless somebody wants to go through and fix
any cases like this ;(

Binary compatibility is really important, and while arguably
compat-compatibility is slightly less critical, I think we should aim
to DTRT there too. I don't think we need to necessarily bend over
quite as far backwards for the compat case, but in places like this
where we are so close to being compatible - and not being compatible
kills the boot sequence and isn't just some theoretical thing - I do
think that it's worth

Linus

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans