    SubjectRe: Linux 3.3-rc4
    On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:

    > A real shame, this should have used "__aligned_u64" from the
    > beginning.

    I agree. Sadly, this is exactly the kind of thing that is *really*
    easy to overlook, and once it is overlooked we're screwed because
    fixing it just breaks the native 32-bit case.

    We probably should have made __u64 itself be marked as aligned, but
    that's too late now too, unless somebody wants to go through and fix
    any cases like this ;(

    Binary compatibility is really important, and while arguably
    compat-compatibility is slightly less critical, I think we should aim
    to DTRT there too. I don't think we need to necessarily bend over
    quite as far backwards for the compat case, but in places like this
    where we are so close to being compatible - and not being compatible
    kills the boot sequence and isn't just some theoretical thing - I do
    think that it's worth

    Linus

      Last update: 2012-02-19 21:05    [W:0.021 / U:59.896 seconds]