    SubjectRe: Compat 32-bit syscall entry from 64-bit task!?
    From
    On Fri, February 10, 2012 16:53, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > On 02/09/2012 11:42 PM, Indan Zupancic wrote:>
    >> Patch implementing this below. It uses bit 3 for task mode and bit 5
    >> for syscall mode. Those bits are only valid if VIF is set. It increases
    >> the kernel size by around 50 bytes, 6 for a 32-bit kernel.
    >>
    >> Any objections?
    >
    > #include <stdnak.h>

    Could you please elaborate? Is it just the stealing of eflags bits that
    irks you or are there technical problems too?

    I understand some people would prefer a new regset, but that would force
    everyone to use PTRACE_GETREGSET instead of whatever they are using now.
    The problem with that is that not all archs support PTRACE_GETREGSET, so
    the user space ptrace code needs to use different ptrace calls depending
    on the architecture for no good reason. If PEEK_USER works then it's less
    of a problem, then it's one extra ptrace call compared to the eflag way
    if PTRACE_GETREGS is used. If this new info is exposed with a special
    regset instead of being appended to normal regs then one extra ptrace
    call per system call event needs to be done. You can as well add special
    x86 ptrace requests then.

    Or is the main advantage of using a regset that it shows up in coredumps?
    That would merit the extra effort at least.

    Stealing eflags bits may be ugly like hell, but it's very simple for both
    the kernel and user space to implement.

    I think everyone agrees that this kind of info needs to be exposed somehow.
    In the end I don't care how it is done, as long as the info is easily
    available.

    Greetings,

    Indan

      Last update: 2012-02-10 23:45    [W:0.023 / U:62.060 seconds]