SubjectRe: [v7 0/8] Reduce cross CPU IPI interference
On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 10:41 -0500, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> At Tilera we have been supporting a "dataplane" mode (aka Zero Overhead
> Linux - the marketing name). This is configured on a per-cpu basis, and in
> addition to setting isolcpus for those nodes, also suppresses various
> things that might otherwise run (soft lockup detection, vmstat work,
> etc.).

See that's wrong.. it starts being wrong by depending on cpuisol and
goes from there.

> The claim is that you need to specify these kinds of things
> per-core since it's not always possible for the kernel to know that you
> really don't want the scheduler or any other interrupt source to touch the
> core, as opposed to the case where you just happen to have a single process
> scheduled on the core and you don't mind occasional interrupts.

Right, so that claim is proven false I think.

> But
> there's definitely appeal in having the kernel do it adaptively too,
> particularly if it can be made to work just as well as configuring it
> statically.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work as well or even better.

  Last update: 2012-02-10 19:37    [W:0.150 / U:10.280 seconds]