    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] core block IO bits for 3.8
    On 2012-12-17 18:47, Tejun Heo wrote:
    > Hello, Jens.
    >
    > On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 06:04:42PM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
    >> OK, if you have something generic for threadpools in mind, we can wait
    >> with this one. I just thought that a "real" interface was nicer than
    >> manual setting, especially since the flusher threads come and go. Then
    >> you'd need some udev hook to get it set, not even sure how easy that
    >> would be with the weird linkage.
    >
    > I've been thinking about this and I think what we really need is a
    > generic interface for thread pools where the user can specify various
    > attributes - priority, affinity and probably cgroup association, so
    > that those attributes are exposed in generic manner while backend
    > creates and manages worker pools identified by actual attriutes so
    > that we don't end up with gazillion pools. crypto and writeback would
    > be the obvious users and probably the virtio too. I'll write more
    > when things get more concrete.

    I agree. That part of the writeback code is pretty generic
    functionality.

    So new course of action is to revert the commit, and then I'm sure Jeff
    will re-send the code to just set the affinity to something sane by
    default when that is easily doable.

    --
    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2012-12-17 20:41    [W:3.020 / U:0.016 seconds]