    SubjectRe: scsi target, likely GPL violation
    On 11/07/2012 05:02 PM, Jon Mason wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Andy Grover <> wrote:
    >> Your company appears to be shipping kernel features in RTS OS that are
    >> not made available under the GPL, specifically support for the
    >> EXTENDED_COPY and COMPARE_AND_WRITE SCSI commands, in order to claim
    >> full Vmware vSphere 5 VAAI support.
    >> Private emails to you and RTS CEO Marc Fleischmann have not elicited a
    >> useful response.
    >> You are subsystem maintainer for the in-kernel SCSI target support
    >> (drivers/target/*), and your company appears to be violating the GPL.
    > The peanut gallery needs more information, as this is quite an
    > incendiary claim to be making on a Linux kernel forum. How are they
    > violating the GPL? I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but if
    > I understand the GPL correctly, RTS only needs to provide the relevant
    > source to their customers upon request. Are there customers (perhaps
    > Redhat) that they have not provided this to? If so, then they need to
    > be publicly shamed ( would be a good place to go as
    > well). If not, then they are within their rights to behave the way
    > they are currently behaving.
    > Again, we need more info before we start flinging the tomatoes at them.

    Look at the marketing material on their website. They demonstrate how
    RTS OS fully implements vSphere 5 VAAI features. We know to a very high
    certainty that this must have been implemented with kernel code, so
    therefore this must be a GPL violation, since these changes have not
    been made public.

    -- Andy

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-11-08 18:41    [W:0.031 / U:11.288 seconds]