SubjectRe: arch_check_bp_in_kernelspace: fix the range check
On 11/25, Amnon Shiloh wrote:

> 2) I was then told (in my own words): "oh, don't worry, the vsyscall page
> has now been minimized, all it contains now is *real* system calls,
> and it always calls them".

Not sure where did you get this idea ;) From the very beginning you were
told that EMULATE mode doesn't do this.

The NATIVE mode should be fine, yes.

> 6) I just suggested an alternative: to have the whole vsyscall page
> removed on a per-process basis. I accept your reply that this is
> not possible.

Yes, this is not possible.

> 7) I suggested a third alternative: to have the vsyscall page be
> unexecutable on a per-process basis,

Like above, this is simply not possible. And at the same time the
vsyscall page is already unexecutable in EMULATE mode, but globally.

> 8) Any solution that allows a ptracer to prevent its traced process
> from entering the vsyscall page and execute there system-calls
> unchecked (thus in effect escape its jailer), would do for me.

Well. I am even more confused... probably this was already discussed
and I missed this, but.

Why do you need to _prevent_, say, sys_gettimeofday()? Why we can't
change emulate_vsyscall() to respect PTRACE_SYSCALL and report
TRAP_VSYSCALL or PTRACE_EVENT_VSYSCALL as I tried to suggest in
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=135343635523715 ?

You previously replied that this can not work. Now that you see that
this _can_ work, could you please explain why this is not enough?

Oleg.

  Last update: 2012-11-26 00:41    [W:0.161 / U:0.720 seconds]