SubjectRe: [RFC EDAC/GHES] edac: lock module owner to avoid error report conflicts
On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 11:47:52PM +0000, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > Right, but at least in the csrow case, we still can compute back the
> > csrow even with the interleaving, after we know how it is done exactly
> > (on which address bits, etc). I think this should be doable on Intel
> > controllers too but I don't know.
>
> No. Architecturally all Intel provides is the physical address in MCi_ADDR.
> To do anything with that you are into per-system space, and the
> registers that define the mappings are not necessarily available
> to OS code ... sometimes they are, and sometimes they are even
> documented in places where Mauro can use them to write an
> EDAC driver ... but there are no guarantees.

One more reason that we need some sort of tables telling us which
rank/csrow maps to which DIMM and thus silkscreen label so that we can
be able to say the following from software:

"You just had a single corrected ECC error in the DIMM with label
P0_DIMM_A"

or whatever unique naming each platform vendor comes up with.

The day hw people give me this, I'm going to throw a big party and
invite all LKML.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

  Last update: 2012-11-02 01:21    [W:0.686 / U:0.116 seconds]