    SubjectRe: [Suggestion] net-ipv6: format %8s change to %16s in rt6_info_route function of route.c
    于 2012年11月01日 17:01, Eric Dumazet 写道:
    > Hi Chen
    >
    > Thats a good suggestion indeed.

    thank you very much for your confirmation.

    > Networking patches should be sent to netdev@vger.kernel.org (added in
    > CC)

    I will do it.

    > This list only cares about recent generic kernels, not RedHat ones.

    it seems "it is not suitable to send any issues which only relative
    with Red Hat to linux-*@vger.kernel.org".

    > If you want to provide a patch, please base it on David Miller net-next
    > [1] tree, and make it official (read Documentation/SubmittingPatches for
    > general advices)

    ok, I will follow, thank you for your information.

    > By the way, the %8s should be replaced by %s, there is no need to make
    > /proc/net/ipv6_route 'beautiful'. In the past, it was *needed* because
    > each line had to be of a given length, but its not anymore the case.
    >
    > Thanks

    1) I agree with your result.

    2) But for the "reason", I have my opinions:
    A) %.8s : for limitation of output string length.
    B) %8s : for width of output string length (but not limit 8).
    C) %8.8s: both limitation and width.

    3) for rt->rt6i_dev->name:
    A) original %8s is not a bug for name len is more than 8 (can still
    be outputted correctly)
    B) it is only effect with name len is less than 8 (it will fill some
    ' ' before the name)
    C) this is the reason why I call it "beautiful", not a bug.

    > [1] :
    > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git;a=summary

    I will reference it, thanks.

    --