    From: Lai Jiangshan <>

    This patch is part1 of the following patchset:

    The patchset is based on Linus's tree with these three patches already applied:

    Movable memory is a very important concept of memory-management,
    we need to consolidate it and make use of it on systems.

    Movable memory is needed for
    anti-fragmentation(hugepage, big-order allocation...)
    logic hot-remove(virtualization, Memory capacity on Demand)
    physic hot-remove(power-saving, hardware partitioning, hardware fault management)

    All these require dynamic configuring the memory and making better utilities of
    memories and safer. We also need physic hot-remove, so we need movable node too.
    (Although some systems support physic-memory-migration, we don't require all
    memory on physic-node is movable, but movable node is still needed here
    for logic-node if we want to make physic-migration is transparent)

    We add dynamic configuration commands "online_movalbe" and "online_kernel" in
    this patchset, and you can't make a movable node(it will be implemented in

    1. online_movable:
    echo online_movable >/sys/devices/system/memory/memoryX/state
    The memory must be offlined before doing this.
    2. online_kernel:
    echo online_kernel >/sys/devices/system/memory/memoryX/state
    The memory must be offlined before doing this.
    3. online:
    echo online_kernel >/sys/devices/system/memory/memoryX/state
    The memory must be offline before doing this. This operation does't change
    the memory's attribute: movable or normal/high

    You only can move the highest memory in normal/high zone to movable zone,
    and only can move the lowest memory in movable zone to normal/high zone.

    Lai Jiangshan (3):
    mm, memory-hotplug: dynamic configure movable memory and portion
    memory_hotplug: handle empty zone when online_movable/online_kernel
    memory_hotplug: ensure every online node has NORMAL memory

    Documentation/memory-hotplug.txt | 14 ++-
    drivers/base/memory.c | 27 +++---
    include/linux/memory_hotplug.h | 13 ++-

      Last update: 2012-10-31 07:21    [W:0.025 / U:79.424 seconds]