SubjectRe: [Patch v1 04/10] perf/x86: add memory profiling via PEBS Load Latency
> > Why do you need to replace the whole table?
> >
> Because I am extending them with one or two events based on cpu
> model. That was the easiest way of doing this instead of playing
> some kind of malloc+copy trick.

I did malloc and copy.

> > BTW I still think my approach in the v4 Haswell patchkit
> > is simpler and didn't rely on hardcoding these events.
> >
> I don't care about those events. As I found out, they are not even
> used by perf because they are all hardcoded and that's what gets
> used. I assume they are exposed for reference only. I don't object
> to that. But I think the right mechanism would be one where you
> can add events at boot time based on CPU model. It could be used
> to add the common events as well in the common part of the init
> code.

Yes that's what I did.

I don't think copying everything for everything new is a good
approach.

-Andi

--
ak@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only

  Last update: 2012-10-29 23:01    [W:0.172 / U:0.228 seconds]