SubjectRe: Regression: ONE CPU fails bootup at Re: [3.2.0-RC7] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000598 1.478005] IP: [<ffffffff8107a6c4>] queue_work_on+0x4/0x30

> On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 15:13 +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:

>> > By now I tried Neil's proposed patch and unfortunately that makes things rather
>> > worse. I also played around with the idea of the unregistration race. Maybe
>> > there also is one (that cancel_work_sync should be called before unregistering
>> > the device) but definitely it is not what happens at least in the one CPU case.
>> > I added some more printk's and the crash happens before even the rtc core class
>> > has been fully registered. And no unregister is call has been made either.
>> >
>> > Which may point to execution of the irq worker (including a schedule_work)
>> > before the rtc-cmos parts are finished... Would explain why moving the
>> > initialize call further down does at least narrow the window for it to happen...
>> > The only thing I do not understand then is why that seems only to happen on Xen
>> > guests...
>> >

>> Darn, guess I understand now... So cmos-rtc will call rtc_device_register from
>> within do_cmos_probe and set cmos_rtc.rtc with the pointer that
>> rtc_device_register returns.
>> But when having rtc_initialize_alarm being called earlier in
>> rtc_device_register, and that queues the work, there is a chance it will fire
>> even before that function returns.
>> And then cmos_checkintr will dereference the null pointer still stored in
>> cmos_rtc.rtc for calling rtc_update_irq...

> Hey Stefan, Konrad, Sander, Neil,
> Thanks again for the bug reporting and sorry for the earlier trouble.
> So after the problematic patch was reverted for 3.2, I worked with Neil
> to try to address the issue in a better way. It looks like its working
> for Neil, so I was wondering if any of you could look over and maybe
> give the following tree a whirl:
> git://git.linaro.org/people/jstultz/linux.git dev/rtc-fixups

> The shortlog is here:
> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/jstultz/linux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/dev/rtc-fixups

> If this avoids the issue for you, and no one sees any other problems,
> I'll queue these for 3.3

> thanks
> -john

Boots both with single as with multiple CPU Xen guests

Tested-by: Sander Eikelenboom <linux@eikelenboom.it>

thanks,

--
Sander

  Last update: 2012-01-08 21:51    [W:0.089 / U:0.080 seconds]