SubjectRe: [RFC 0/3]block: An IOPS based ioscheduler
On Fri 06-01-12 13:12:29, Shaohua Li wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 14:50 +0800, Shaohua Li wrote:

> > > Benchmark results?
> > I didn't have data yet. The patches are still in earlier stage, I want
> > to focus on the basic idea first.
> since you asked, I tested in a 4 socket machine with 12 X25M SSD jbod,
> fs is ext4.
>
> workload percentage change with fiops against cfq
> fio_sync_read_4k -2
> fio_mediaplay_64k 0
> fio_mediaplay_128k 0
> fio_mediaplay_rr_64k 0
> fio_sync_read_rr_4k 0
> fio_sync_write_128k 0
> fio_sync_write_64k -1
> fio_sync_write_4k -2
> fio_sync_write_64k_create 0
> fio_sync_write_rr_64k_create 0
> fio_sync_write_128k_create 0
> fio_aio_randread_4k -4
> fio_aio_randread_64k 0
> fio_aio_randwrite_4k 1
> fio_aio_randwrite_64k 0
> fio_aio_randrw_4k -1
> fio_aio_randrw_64k 0
> fio_tpch 9
> fio_tpcc 0
> fio_mmap_randread_4k -1
> fio_mmap_randread_64k 1
> fio_mmap_randread_1k -8
> fio_mmap_randwrite_4k 35
> fio_mmap_randwrite_64k 22
> fio_mmap_randwrite_1k 28
> fio_mmap_randwrite_4k_halfbusy 24
> fio_mmap_randrw_4k 23
> fio_mmap_randrw_64k 4
> fio_mmap_randrw_1k 22
> fio_mmap_randrw_4k_halfbusy 35
> fio_mmap_sync_read_4k 0
> fio_mmap_sync_read_64k -1
> fio_mmap_sync_read_128k -1
> fio_mmap_sync_read_rr_64k 5
> fio_mmap_sync_read_rr_4k 3
>
> The fio_mmap_randread_1k has regression against 3.2-rc7, but no
> regression against 3.2-rc6 kernel, still checking why. The fiops has
> improvement for read/write mixed workload. CFQ is known not good for
> read/write mixed workload.
Nice, but this is only about throughput, isn't it? Part of the reason why
CFQ takes hit in the throughput is that it prefers sync IO (i.e. reads and
synchronous writes) against other IO. Does your scheduler do anything like
that? Could you for example compare a latency of reads while running heavy
background writing between CFQ and your scheduler? Loads like this where
original motivation for CFQ I believe.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

  Last update: 2012-01-06 15:41    [W:0.262 / U:0.400 seconds]