SubjectRe: [patch 2/4] proc: Show namespaces IDs in /proc/pid/ns/* files
On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 09:56:24AM -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> > Hi Eric, thanks a lot for comments! I must admit I never though about
> > nested checkpoint/restore simply because even plain and direct CR still
> > has a number of problems which are not yet addressed.
> >
> > As to return such ID in ino field (if I understand you right -- you
> > propose to return such ID as inode of kstat structure) -- I don't think
> > it would be right either. Instead of one iteface applied to all objects
> > we export there will be a few different approaches instead -- for net-ns
> > it would be dev+ino, for tasks and other members of task-structure
> > it'll be IDs from /proc (as implemented in another patches). I like
> > more Kyle's idea about object_id() call which would simply return the
> > entrypted ID to user-space and it'll be up to user-space to do anything
> > it wants with such pieces of information.
>
> Right now everything thing that is exported is dev+ino. My objection
> is that you are adding yet another interface to get that information.
>
> I already have patches that already implement dev+ino for the namespaces
> so I fully expect that to happen independently of your patches. My
> priority is to get the rest of the namespaces exported which requires
> a bit more review.

Ah, good to know, could you please point me where I can get them and try
at least dev+ino part out?

> > Yes, there will be no way to restore such IDs later but the interface
> > is not supposed to work this way.
>
> It sounds like it won't be possible to retrofit the ability to restore
> the IDs later. If the path to what will be needed to support nested
> checkpoint/restore is not clear the user space interface is broken
> by design. And since it is broken by design I say the design needs
> to bake more before we think of baking it.

I'm not against of chaging/improving design at all. If there some other
ways to retrieve this kind of information I'm gladly dropping patches
piece-by-piece.

> > All this mess only because of lack
> > of way to figure out which task resources are shared and which are not.
> > Maybe if we can carry CLONE_ flags from copy_process()/unshare()/setns()
> > (and which else modify task resources?) inside task_struct and provide
> > these flags back to user-space we might not need the IDs helpers at all.
> > But I think such approach might end up in a pretty big patch bloating
> > the kernel. In turn I wanted to bring as minimum new functionality as
> > possible *with* a way to completely turn it off if user don't need it.
>
> The tricky case is file descriptors and file descriptors can be passed
> over unix domain sockets in arbitrary ways.

Not really, what about other members of task-structure, such as mm, files
and others? If I export this bits I have to export them somehow in a safe
way which would not reveal too much of kernel internals.

> If you can find a way to do this without id helpers that sounds like
> a good design.

Yes, I'm trying to find some other way but without much luck at moment.
Once I have something to show -- of course I send it to lkml immediately.

> I have a nasty feeling that by trying to do this piecemeal instead of
> in one big system call you are slowly painting yourself into a corner
> from which you can not get out.

Yes again, that was the reason the patches flew to LKML -- just
to obtain as much comments as possible and find some sane way.

Cyrill

  Last update: 2012-01-04 19:21    [W:0.062 / U:0.364 seconds]