SubjectRe: Regression: ONE CPU fails bootup at Re: [3.2.0-RC7] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000598 1.478005] IP: [<ffffffff8107a6c4>] queue_work_on+0x4/0x30
Hello Stefan,

> [...]
>>
>> Over night I had still be thinking on this and maybe one important fact I had
>> been ignoring. This really has only been observed on paravirt guests on Xen as
>> far as I know. And one thing that I should have pointed out is that
>>
>> [ 0.792634] rtc_cmos rtc_cmos: rtc core: registered rtc_cmos as rtc0
>> [ 0.792725] rtc_cmos: probe of rtc_cmos failed with error -38
>>
>> So first the registration is done and the first line is the last thing printed
>> in the registration function. Then, and that line always comes after, the probe,
>> which looks like being done asynchronously, detects that the rtc is not
>> implemented. I would assume that this causes the rtc to be unregistered again
>> and that is probably the point where, under the right circumstances, the worker
>> triggered by the initialize alarm is trying to set another alarm. Probably while
>> some of the elements of the structure started to be torn down. I need to check
>> on that code path, yet. So right now its more a guess.

>>> Thanks for explaining this again.
>>>
>>> Hrm. It seems the easy answer is to simply not add alarms that are in
>>> the past. Further, I'm a bit perplexed, as if they are in the past, the
>>> enabled flag shouldn't be set. __rtc_read_alarm() does check the
>>> current time, so maybe we can make sure we don't return old values? I
>>> guess I assumed __rtc_read_alarm() avoided returning stale values, but
>>> apparently not.

>>> Unfortunately its too early.

>>> I don't think I saw it today. Was it from before the holidays?
>>>

>> I fear I caused a bit of confusion there. Neil responded to my initial mail
>> which was done as a reply to the mail announcing this patch for stable (which
>> just was the first thread I could get hold of).
>> I will try Neil's patch as well. And in parallel try to see whether the theory I
>> had this night makes sense. If it does, then it is only indirectly that the work
>> is scheduled too early. In that case just the teardown needs to make sure that
>> no work is being run while removal. Well, maybe the question is whether there
>> should be a delay in running the irq work until the device really, really is
>> completely set up... But that sounds a bit more complicated.

> By now I tried Neil's proposed patch and unfortunately that makes things rather
> worse. I also played around with the idea of the unregistration race. Maybe
> there also is one (that cancel_work_sync should be called before unregistering
> the device) but definitely it is not what happens at least in the one CPU case.
> I added some more printk's and the crash happens before even the rtc core class
> has been fully registered. And no unregister is call has been made either.

> Which may point to execution of the irq worker (including a schedule_work)
> before the rtc-cmos parts are finished... Would explain why moving the
> initialize call further down does at least narrow the window for it to happen...
> The only thing I do not understand then is why that seems only to happen on Xen

Has there been a request to revert this for 3.2 final gone to Linus ?

--
Best regards,
Sander mailto:linux@eikelenboom.it

  Last update: 2012-01-04 14:19    [W:2.075 / U:0.940 seconds]