    SubjectRe: [tip:sched/core] sched: Fix ancient race in do_exit()
    On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Linus Torvalds
    <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

    > So it may be completely and utterly broken for some subtle reason, but
    > I don't see what it would be. It seems to clean up and simplify the
    > logic, and remove all the bogus workarounds for the fact that we used
    > to do things stupidly.
    >
    > But maybe there's some reason for those "stupid" things. I just don't see it.

    Hmm. Ok, so I see one reason for it. The silly extraneous "set task to
    TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE" shouldn't matter normally - even if there are
    spurious wakeups (say, disk IO while taking a page fault - not that I
    see why we'd be on any wait queues yet), we'll just schedule a bit
    more than we need in the extremely unlikely case that they hit us.

    But for RT tasks with higher priorities, looping - even if we call
    schedule() all the time - can cause livelocks. Damn. So while I don't
    think the spurious wakeup is a big issue (I don't think it happens in
    practice), it could lead to problems.

    I think we could possibly use the "flags" field to do that "are we
    just about to get woken up" logic, and set TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE in the
    loop - and just clear "flags" before doing the wakeup (the same way we
    used to clear "task"). Dunno. Ideas?

    Linus

      Last update: 2012-01-29 19:31    [W:0.020 / U:0.208 seconds]