SubjectRe: Pinmux bindings proposal V2
Hi,

* Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org> [120126 22:15]:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 06:08:33PM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > * Stephen Warren <swarren@nvidia.com> [120126 11:03]:
> > > Second, as I mentioned before, while some of the states are certainly
> > > PM-related, I don't think all will be, e.g. the case of running an SD
> > > controller at different clock rates to the SD card, and needing to
> > > set different pin parameters based on the clock rate. Is runtime PM
> > > intended cover that kind of thing? The idea here is that the common
> > > pinctrl binding can allow the driver to require different named states
> > > for those different clock rate cases.
> >
> > For the PM related states, those should be Linux generic. For rate
> > setting sounds like that's really something you should set up as clocks
> > in the Tegra wrapper driver for SDHCI?
> >
> That's right.
>
> > Ideally the SDHCI driver would be completely arch independent, and
> > then the SoC specific wrapper driver would know how to communicate to
> > the pinmux/pinconf framwork or clock framework what it needs using
> > Linux generic APIs.
>
> But that wrapper driver should not be bothered to call pinmux/pinconf
> APIs on pin basis to change the pinctrl configuration. The elegant
> way would be something like the following in case that it switches
> the bus frequency from 50 MHz to 100 MHz.
>
> pmx = pinmux_get(dev, "esdhc_50mhz");
> pinmux_put(pmx);
> pmx = pinmux_get(dev, "esdhc_100mhz");
>
> The specific mux and config settings of states esdhc_50mhz and
> esdhc_100mhz would be retrieved from device tree.

Yes whatever mux names can be used, same as with clock framework
for clock names. But that means you'll have to constantly get/put
the mux which is not efficient.

Wouldn't it be cleaner to just clk_get esdhc_clk during init, then
do clk_set_rate on it to toggle the rates?

> > So I'd rather stay out of random named states for
> > the pins coming from device tree; If we still need them, they should
> > be common bindings rather than things like "xyz_clock_hack".
> >
> The binding defines the syntax, and I do not see the necessity to
> force the particular state name, which is really pinctrl client
> device specific.

Do you have some other custom pin state example other than the
clock rate change example above?

Regards,

Tony

  Last update: 2012-01-27 18:09    [W:0.163 / U:0.000 seconds]