    SubjectRe: [patch v4, kernel version 3.2.1] net/ipv4/ip_gre: Ethernet multipoint GRE over IP
    From
    Hi Eric,

    I have been testing on the 3.2.X series of kernels and the 3.0.X and
    3.1.X prior to that but most of my results are for 3.2.1.
    My test hardware includes pairs of hardware (two or more of each)
    based on the following chips.

    AMD 6140
    Intel X5650
    Intel Core i5 2400 (desktop)

    I conducted throughput and PPS benchmarks using iperf and pktgen.
    All tests were performed over a real IP network (IP over Infiniband)
    that can operate at a much greater speed than the software is capable
    of forwarding at.
    If the list is interested I will re-run and post all of my benchmarks
    or atleast send them to you personally.
    Unfortunately I didn't store the benchmarks (much to my own stupidty)
    and I repurposed the hardware for other things.

    Yes I was going to mention this in my last email but deleted it on
    lack of relevance at the time.
    Under pathological load OVS suffers in benchmarks, continual
    establishment of new flows is really not good for it - I haven't
    observed this personally though.
    It does however worry me that this could be used as a viable DoS.. I
    don't really know what could be done to mitigate this however.
    That aside it's GRE implementation using loopback (internal)
    interfaces performs very well and is like I said onpar with Linux
    Bridge + GRE.

    Are the any specific things you would like to see?
    I'm not a networking guru and would welcome any assistance you could
    provide on improving my test methodology.
    Someone suggested netperf to me the other day, I intend on running
    some benchmarks with it next week.

    Joseph.

    --
    Founder | Director | VP Research