    SubjectRe: [Help] : RSS/PSS showing 0 during smaps for Xorg
    On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, PINTU KUMAR wrote:

    > Is there a way to convert our mapped pages to a normal pages. I tried pfn_to_page() but no effect.
    > I mean the page is considered normal only if it is associated with "struct page" right???
    > Is is possible to convert these pages to a normal struct pages so that we can get the Rss/Pss value??

    I don't understand why you are so anxious to see non-0 numbers there.

    I don't know if the pages you are mapping with remap_pfn_range() are
    ordinary pages in normal memory, and so already have struct pages, or not.

    > Also, the VM_PFNMAP is being set for all dirvers during remap_pfn_range and stills shows Rss/Pss for other drivers.

    I'm surprised. It is possible to set up a private-writable VM_PFNMAP area,
    which can then contain ordinary private copies of the underlying pages,
    and these copies will count to Rss. But I thought that was very unusual.

    You don't mention which drivers these are that use remap_pfn_range yet
    show Rss (and I don't particularly want to spend time researching them).

    I can see three or four places in drivers/ where VM_PFNMAP is set,
    perhaps without going through remap_pfn_range(): that seems prone
    to error, I wouldn't recommend going that route.

    > Then why it is not shown for our driver?
    > How to avoid remap_pfn_range to not to set VM_PFNMAP for our driver?

    If these are ordinary pages with struct pages, then you could probably
    use a loop of vm_insert_page()s to insert them at mmap time, or a fault
    routine to insert them on fault. But as I said, I don't know if this
    memory is part of the ordinary page pool or not.

    Really, the question has to be, why do you need to see non-0s there?

    Hugh

      Last update: 2012-01-26 02:03    [W:2.088 / U:9.040 seconds]