    > From: Jesse Gross <>
    > Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:11:06 -0800
    >> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM, David Miller <> wrote:
    >>> From: Joseph Glanville <>
    >>> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:48:37 +1100
    >>> So what you're telling me is that I added this huge openvswitch
    >>> thing essentially for nothing?
    >> I think it's actually the opposite - Open vSwitch can be used to
    >> implement this type of thing as well as for many other use cases.
    > Then openvswitch is exactly where you should be prototyping and
    > implementing support for this sort of stuff.
    > And only if you cannot obtain reasonable performance using openvswitch
    > should you be even entertaining the notion of a static implementation.
    > That's the whole premise behind putting openvswitch into the tree, so
    > that guys like you can play around in userspace without having to make
    > any kernel changes at all.
    > I am not applying these patches, the more things you say the more I am
    > convinced they are not appropriate.
    The performance is one of the most critical thing why I have chosen to
    build kernel patch in the first place instead of some user-space app.
    If I used this approach, I would probably end up with patch for
    OpenVPN project instead in that time. I am not telling that
    openvswitch is not a good place for prototyping, but I believe that
    this patch is beyond that border as it successfully run in environment
    with more 98 linux-based APs, used for 4K+ users, with no issue for
    more than 2 years. The performance results from Joseph Glanville even
    adds value to it. So I still don't get the point, why my patch and
    openvswitch cannot coexists in the kernel together and let user/admin
    to choose to correct solution for him/her.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-01-25 23:59    [W:0.037 / U:11.160 seconds]