SubjectRe: hda-intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x01db0000
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:51:43AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:46:30 +0100,
> Petr Baudis wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:18:24AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Thanks. Switching to the polling mode is really harmless.
> > > So, basically you can ignore these messages. I can change it only as a
> > > debug message.
> > >
> > > OTOH, if the switching to single_cmd mode happens, this is a serious
> > > problem. But, as far as I see in alsa-info.sh output, it didn't
> > > happen.
> >
> > Ok, then the bug is in handling of polling mode in this particular chip.
> > After such switch to polling mode, applications will get stuck on
> > releasing the soundcard.
>
> What do you mean "releasing the soundcard"? Closing the PCM stream,
> or unloading the module, or at shutdown?

Closing the PCM stream - see strace snippet in the original post.

> > Another symptom I forgot to describe is that
> > the last ~100ms of output will keep repeating when I pause/stop
> > playback, one has to mute the volume to get rid of this. Again, this
> > starts happenning only sometimes after the switch to polling mode,
> > but then keeps happenning fairly consistently.
>
> Hm, this sounds like some interrupt issue, then. After all, switching
> to the polling-mode happens because the expected interrupt didn't
> arrive in time. If a similar problem happens in the PCM stream, too,
> it might be some other generic interrupt problem.

The soundcard used to work on much older kernel versions. The only
issue I had with this chipset were general (sound, network, ...) DMA
problems from 4GiB+ memory areas after I upgraded my memory, but that
got fixed in newer kernel version. The soundcard uses unique IRQs:

CPU0 CPU1
43: 24 7290 PCI-MSI-edge snd_hda_intel
44: 1 60 PCI-MSI-edge snd_hda_intel

Any clues on how I can debug this?

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will

  Last update: 2012-01-23 11:25    [W:0.037 / U:0.828 seconds]