    SubjectRe: /etc/fstab.d yes or not
    On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 03:04:44PM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
    > I'd like to add support for /etc/fstab.d to libmount. The library is
    > currently used by mount, umount and mount.nfs. The goal is to use it
    > on more places.
    >
    > The /etc/fstab.d directory has been requested by people who maintains
    > large number of mountpoints etc.
    >
    > The directory is not replacement for /etc/fstab, it's additional place
    > where you can describe your filesystems.

    As a general comment, I would like to use fstab.d for replacing
    the initscripts which mount kernel filesystems in Debian initscripts
    (sysvinit). We currently hardcode the logic to mount each filesystem
    and additionally hardcode the defaults, and permit the defaults to
    be overridden by the user via /etc/default/* or via entries in
    /etc/fstab. This could be done much more straightforwardly using
    entries such as /etc/fstab.d/kernfs and /etc/fstab.d/tmpfs etc.

    From the distributor's POV, this can then take advantage of the
    package manager's conffile handling, meaning it's much simpler
    for the user to customise.

    From the initscripts POV, were systemd to also use the same
    approach, we could then share the configuration between the different
    init systems.

    Note that I've not actually taken any of these steps yet; I'm
    about to test it with the upcoming util-linux release and the
    current prerelease, but it is something under consideration.

    Regards,
    Roger

    --
    .''`. Roger Leigh

      Last update: 2012-01-20 16:59    [W:0.024 / U:0.208 seconds]