    SubjectRe: /etc/fstab.d yes or not
    On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:04:44 +0100
    Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> wrote:

    > I'd like to add support for /etc/fstab.d to libmount. The library is
    > currently used by mount, umount and mount.nfs. The goal is to use it
    > on more places.
    >
    > The /etc/fstab.d directory has been requested by people who maintains
    > large number of mountpoints etc.
    >
    > The directory is not replacement for /etc/fstab, it's additional place
    > where you can describe your filesystems.

    It might not be my place to say anthing about this, as I am just
    a mere mortal ....

    But I'd like to express my concerns on this. In the years i've been
    using Linux, the system has become a very complex beast. While in the
    beginning I could just dig trough a couple of scripts to figure out
    how a certain system worked, or more likely why it didn't work...
    nowadays i have to have knowledge of a dozen of complex interacting
    daemons to figure out why gedit refuses to edit a simple text file.

    Complexity is added everywhere, to make a few corner cases a little
    bit more simple. Making it more difficult for the 99% who do
    not care about these corner cases. This in turn makes Linux this
    opaque system that only a handfull of selected can understand, who
    invest their whole life to the understanding of its many subsystems.
    If this continues like this, in a decade or two, Linux will become
    like windows. A system nobody clearly understands, which somehow works,
    but sometimes not.. and nobody knows why.

    Hence, i would like to ask you to consider not adding /etc/fstab.d
    unless there is a very good reason to do it. And "to make it simpler
    for people who have a lot of mountpoints" is IMHO not a good reason.
    How many mountpoints must one use that a single file becomes a problem?

    Attila Kinali

    -- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin

      Last update: 2012-01-20 15:57    [W:0.022 / U:89.460 seconds]