    SubjectRe: loading firmware while usermodehelper disabled.

    Matthew Garrett <mjg@redhat.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 11:31:55PM +0000, Jack Stone wrote:
    >
    >> Rather than merging the drivers we could make the uvcvideo (or any
    >other
    >> generic driver) driver expose a "subdriver" interface that allows
    >> another module to bind to the specific ID and add extra handling to
    >> certain events. We could then use that interface to provide a
    >firmware
    >> driver for each device that needs it. The firmware driver could bind
    >> the bootstrap device and to the uvcvideo subdriver interface and it
    >> would then have all the lifetime info we need. [Credit to Linus for
    >> suggesting this idea]
    >
    >No, the uvcvideo driver would need to call out to load the firmware
    >loader driver, otherwise you'll never know to load the firmware loader
    >driver.

    So we have a table of USB ids that list the devices that need firmware drivers. When the uvcvideo driver registers the firmware interface with a USB id that matches the list we load the firmware driver and pass it a "warm start" event so it can cache the firmware.

    As long as we can identify the devices that *might* need firmware then we are ok.

    Thanks,

    Jack

      Last update: 2012-01-03 01:25    [W:0.023 / U:1.272 seconds]