    SubjectRe: [RFC 1/3] /dev/low_mem_notify
    On 01/17/2012 01:51 PM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Ok, so here's a proof of concept patch that implements sample-base
    > per-process free threshold VM event watching using perf-like syscall
    > ABI. I'd really like to see something like this that's much more
    > extensible and clean than the /dev based ABIs that people have proposed
    > so far.

    Looks like a nice extensible interface to me.

    The only thing is, I expect we will not want to wake
    up processes most of the time, when there is no memory
    pressure, because that would just waste battery power
    and/or cpu time that could be used for something else.

    The desire to avoid such wakeups makes it harder to
    wake up processes at arbitrary points set by the API.

    Another issue is that we might be running two programs
    on the system, each with a different threshold for
    "lets free some of my cache". Say one program sets
    the threshold at 20% free/cache memory, the other
    program at 10%.

    We could end up with the first process continually
    throwing away its caches, while the second process
    never gives its unused memory back to the kernel.

    I am not sure what the right thing to do would be...

    --
    All rights reversed

      Last update: 2012-01-17 20:33    [W:0.021 / U:0.476 seconds]