SubjectRe: [RFC,PATCH 1/2] seccomp_filters: system call filtering using BPF
Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 17:30 +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
>
> > You can do this now, using ptrace(). It's horrible, but half of the
> > horribleness is needing to understand machine-dependent registers,
> > which this new patch doesn't address. (The other half is a ton of
> > undocumented but important ptrace() behaviours on Linux.)
>
> Yeah I know the horrid use of ptrace, I've implemented programs that use
> it :-p

That warm fuzzy feeling :-)

> I guess ptrace can capture the execv and determine if it is OK or not to
> run it. But again, this doesn't stop the possible attacks that could
> happen, with having the execv on a symlink file, having the ptrace check
> say its OK, and then switching the symlink to a setuid file.
>
> When the new execv executed, the parent process would lose all control
> over it. The idea is to prevent this.

fexecve() exists to solve the problem.
Also known as execve("/proc/self/fd/...") on Linux.

> I like Alan's suggestion. Have userspace decide to allow execv or not,
> and even let it decide if it should allow setuid execv's or not, but
> still allow non-setuid execvs. If you allow the setuid execv, once that
> happens, the same behavior will occur as with ptrace. A setuid execv
> will lose all its filtering.

I like the idea of letting the tracer decide what it wants.

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2012-01-12 18:47    [W:0.230 / U:0.260 seconds]