    SubjectRe: loading firmware while usermodehelper disabled.
    On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 22:27:56 +0100
    Oliver Neukum <oliver@neukum.org> wrote:

    > Ideally usbcore would deal with such devices, but at present the USB layer
    > is unable to cleanly resume devices that change their IDs during
    > resume.
    > Solving this would mean putting all firmware loaders into kernel space.
    > And the mode switching logic as well.

    I don't get it. Why would a device enter a state after resume, that it was not
    in at _any_ time before the machine was suspended?

    These change-id-on-bootstrap devices usually work like this,
    as far as I know:

    probe bootstrap device (switches hw to real device)
    probe real device (firmware is loaded)
    Suspend machine
    Resume machine
    usb detects that the device is "gone"
    probe/resume bootstrap device (switches hw to real device)
    probe/resume real device (No need to fetch fw from userspace. It's already cached)

    What did I get wrong?

    --
    Greetings, Michael.

      Last update: 2012-01-01 22:41    [W:0.019 / U:31.564 seconds]