SubjectRe: Epoll as kernel module?
On 09/07/2011 03:45 PM, Someone Something wrote:
> There are lots of old deployments that don't have epoll, and its a
> real pain writing code for these systems. Is it a good idea to write a
> module for epoll since it is basically poll running in the kernel
> space?I think it would be an excellent idea, and if there is approval
> in the community, I would be glad to start working on it, I just
> wanted your opinions before I do that.

Normally only bug fixes are applied to older kernel versions. So as I
see it, there are two real problems you would have:

1) Since lack of epoll is unlikely to be viewed as a bug, I doubt any
such patch would ever be applied to the kernels hosted on kernel.org.

2) Most of the kernels hosted on kernel.org already have working epoll,
so no patch is needed.

But if you want to do something to the kernels you maintain, nobody
would object.

David Daney

  Last update: 2011-09-08 01:19    [W:0.036 / U:1.144 seconds]