SubjectRe: [lm-sensors] [GIT PULL] hwmon fixes for 3.1
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 18:47:25 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 07:16:13PM -0400, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Guys, when using some general git hosting site, I really want some
> > proof that you are you. Not just a "please pull".
> >
> > Tell me *why* I should believe that this is a real pull request from
> > the proper source. Otherwise I'll just wait until kernel.org is back
> > to life, where random people can't just create repositories and send
> > email.
>
> sorry, I didn't think that far. You are absolutely right. No idea if and how
> I can prove that I am me. Generate a PGP signature ? Can't everyone do that
> and subsequently claim to be me ? All I represent (technically) is an account
> on kernel.org, which might not even exist anymore.

When you created this account on kernel.org, you used a PGP key to
identify yourself, didn't you? If you sign your message with that key,
then a few people (basically the kernel.org maintainers) will be able
to confirm that you are the same person who had a trusted kernel.org
account. I don't know if Linus has the list though.

What surprises me a little is that I don't have your public key in my
keyring, and I can't seem to be able to find it on public servers
either. You really should push your key to public key servers,
otherwise a signed message from you has no value in general.

Obviously it's a little late now though. The whole idea of trust and
signatures is to keep the level of trust after odd events such as the
kernel.org break-in. For this, keys must have been exchanged, tested
and trusted long before said event happens.

> (...)
> The fixes are not that important and can wait. Please ignore my pull request;
> I'll re-send it after kernel.org is up and running again.

It's getting long :( I wonder how much more time it will take.

--
Jean Delvare

  Last update: 2011-09-07 20:59    [W:0.078 / U:0.656 seconds]