SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] block fixes for 3.1-rc
On 2011-09-27 17:52, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Final round of patches for 3.1.
>
> Apparently better not.
>
> The "block layer oopses on USB device removal" is still there, it seems.
>
> I can even find a patch from it from Alan Stern:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/9/18/63
>
> and the reason I found that was that my wife's machine just saw what
> looks very much like that bug in elv_put_request().
>
> The call chain on that particular machine was:
>
> - __blk_put_request
> blk_put_request
> scsi_execute
> scsi_execute_req
> sd_check_events
> disk_events_workfn
> process_one_work
>
> in one of the kthread helpers. It sounds like something either
> generates disk events after the unplug event (despite a "safely
> remove" thing), or doesn't properly wait for the disk events to have
> flushed before the elevator is cleared.
>
> The "things go oops at USB removal" reports have been with us for a
> *loong* time now. Can we please get this fixed already, and have
> somebody really look at it?
>
> And if you can't figure out why it happens, at least apply Alan's
> patch (or ack it).

The whole thing is a bit of a mess, it was introduced by changes meant
to clean it up, which didn't get to the root of the problem (and
seemingly only made it worse). We need the queue clearly referenced and
released, not just pointed to. That would be the more invasive and real
fix. I will apply Alan's fix for a happier 3.1.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2011-09-28 02:43    [W:0.053 / U:0.852 seconds]