    SubjectRe: Proposal for a low-level Linux display framework
    Date
    On Thursday 15 September 2011 19:05:00 Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:50:32 -0500
    > Keith Packard wrote:
    > > On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:29:54 +0300, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
    > > > 1) It's part of DRM, so it doesn't help fb or v4l2 drivers. Except if
    > > > the plan is to make DRM the core Linux display framework, upon which
    > > > everything else is built, and fb and v4l2 are changed to use DRM.
    > >
    > > I'd like to think we could make DRM the underlying display framework;
    > > it already exposes an fb interface, and with overlays, a bit more of the
    > > v4l2 stuff is done as well. Certainly eliminating three copies of mode
    > > setting infrastructure would be nice...
    >
    > V4L2 needs to interface with the DRM anyway. Lots of current hardware
    > wants things like shared 1080i/p camera buffers with video in order to do
    > preview on video and the like.

    Buffers sharing is a hot topic that has been discussed during Linaro Connect
    in August 2011. Even though the discussions were aimed at solving ARM-related
    embedded issues, the solution we're working on is not limited to the ARM
    platform and will allow applications to pass buffers around between device
    drivers from different subsystems.

    --
    Regards,

    Laurent Pinchart

      Last update: 2011-09-17 23:39    [W:0.033 / U:1.672 seconds]