    SubjectWhitespace cleanups in drm/i915

    I've got this nice patch from Akshay Joshi that removes almost all of
    the warnings from drm/i915. If I don't merge it now, it's
    going to go stale and be useless; if I merge it only to drm-intel-next,
    it will be the source of endless conflicts.

    However, it's a huge patch (yes, the code was rather sloppy), and
    doesn't exactly fit into the "critical patches only please" mode of the
    current stage of 3.1 development.

    I've checked the patch very carefully, using the obvious git diff -b to
    make sure it really doesn't touch anything but whitespace, but also
    using objdump -s to compare the output of the compiler. There were no
    differences found with git-diff -b. The only differences found by
    objdump are two whitespace changes in some debug output messages in

    I think I have three choices:

    1) merge the patch and expect complaints from upstream

    2) thank Akshay for his good intentions, discard the patch and hope
    that he feels motivated enough to do it all over again in time for
    the 3.2 merge window.

    3) thank Akshay for his good intentions and leave the code as-is,
    forever to ease back-porting of fixes to older kernel versions.

    Frankly, if we're ever going to merge whitespace fixups, this would be a
    pretty darn good time; drm-intel-fixes and drm-intel-next are in-sync as
    I haven't started pulling 3.2 code into -next.

      Last update: 2011-09-16 05:35    [W:0.022 / U:4.664 seconds]