SubjectRe: [patch v3 19/36] Hexagon: Add ptrace support
From
On 9 September 2011 23:18, Linas Vepstas (Code Aurora)
<linas@codeaurora.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 10:15:20PM +0200, Jonas Bonn wrote:
>>
>> That said, I don't think gdbserver has been updated to use
>> GETREGSET/SETREGSET.  This is a bit like the uClibc/glibc issue,
>
> Some dumb questions then: I notice that a few arches declare
> struct user_regs_struct in glibc, most of the others in the
> kernel.  If I were to make pt_regs completely kernel-private,
> then I really do need to have struct user_regs_struct declared
> the kernel headers, right?

Yes, on OpenRISC we declare it in ptrace.h (see
arch/openrisc/include/asm/ptrace.h).

> Putting a printk into case PTRACE_POKEUSR seemed to show that
> gdb was using this (and was somehow mis-numbering the registers
> ... sigh.) Are you saying that the default should handle this?

I'm really not an expert on GDB, but I believe it can use either the
PEEK/POKE functions to access regs, or it can use GET/SETREGS; it's an
architecture-dependent configuration. I think the second variant can
be easily modified to become GET/SETREGSET instead, and the PEEK/POKE
variant wouldn't be needed at all.

/Jonas