    SubjectRe: RFD: x32 ABI system call numbers
    On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 18:14 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > On Tuesday 30 August 2011, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > > On 08/30/2011 05:09 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I'm wondering about the time_t changes: given that we are still adding
    > > > new 32 bit architectures, should we change the asm-generic API as well
    > > > to use 64 bit time_t by default (with fallbacks for the existing ones)?
    > > >
    > > > If you are adding support for these in x32 already, we could use the
    > > > same code for regular 32 bit architectures.
    > > >

    > > It seems absolutely boggling insane that we're introducing new
    > > architectures with no legacy whatsoever and use 32-bit time_t on those.
    > I've added a few people to Cc who are in various stages of the
    > process to finalize their upstream kernel ports. It's clearly
    > the right decision to have time_t 64-bit eventually, the question
    > is how much work is everyone willing to spend in the short run,
    > and who is going to test it. In particular, openrisc has just
    > been merged, so we should not be changing it any more unless
    > there is a serious problem, but if there is not much legacy user
    > space with the current ABI yet, it may still be worth switching
    > over.

    As far as OpenRISC is concerned, this change can still be made now. I
    know who the users of this platform are and, considering the rest of the
    libc churn that comes with dropping the legacy syscalls, I can guarantee
    that nobody's going to complain. OpenRISC may be merged but 3.1's not
    released yet so there's still a bit of wiggle room to get this done.

      Last update: 2011-09-01 08:11    [W:0.043 / U:336.004 seconds]