    SubjectRe: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
    From
    From: David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
    Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 00:13:14 -0700 (PDT)

    > I think this change was stillborn when you committed it and you should
    > have reviewed it more thoroughly and pushed back.

    I also took a look at the one driver that's using this new interface,
    and I have more disagreements.

    The alias lookup unconditionally creates new aliases for the given
    node and passes back an integer ID.

    So even though it is implicitly creating properties, it doesn't update
    the in-kernel device tree nor does it update the OpenFirmware
    etc. copy.

    This behvaior is undesirable and makes no sense. This IMX serial
    driver merely wants increasing incrementing indexes for the serial
    nodes it finds, and there are much better ways to do that.

    It also wants to see if device tree aliases have explicit port
    settings, and that's fine. The new alias code can help it do this,
    but it doesn't need to create new fake aliases in order to accomplish
    that task.

    This stuff needs more work, I would like to suggest that you just
    revert at this point.

      Last update: 2011-08-04 10:23    [W:0.019 / U:32.204 seconds]