SubjectRe: [patch] Revert "memcg: add memory.vmscan_stat"
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 08:29:24AM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:32:21 +0200
> Johannes Weiner <jweiner@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 07:38:39PM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> > > BTW, how to calculate C's lru scan caused by A finally ?

> > > /
> > > /
> > >
> > > At scanning LRU of C because of A's limit, where stats are recorded ?
> > >
> > > If we record it in C, we lose where the memory pressure comes from.
> >
> > It's recorded in C as 'scanned due to parent'.
> >
> > If you want to track down where pressure comes from, you check the
> > outer container, B. If B is scanned due to internal pressure, you
> > know that C's external pressure comes from B. If B is scanned due to
> > external pressure, you know that B's and C's pressure comes from A or
> > the physical memory limit (the outermost container, so to speak).
> >
> > The containers are nested. If C is scanned because of the limit in A,
> > then this concerns B as well and B must be scanned as well as B, as
> > C's usage is fully contained in B.
> >
> > There is not really a direct connection between C and A that is
> > irrelevant to B, so I see no need to record in C which parent was the
> > cause of the pressure. Just that it was /a/ parent and not itself.
> > Then you can follow the pressure up the hierarchy tree.
> >
> > Answer to your original question:
> >
> > C_scan_due_to_A = C_scan_external - B_scan_internal - A_scan_external
> >

> I'm confused.
>
> If vmscan is scanning in C's LRU,
> (memcg == root) : C_scan_internal ++
> (memcg != root) : C_scan_external ++

Yes.

> Why A_scan_external exists ? It's 0 ?
>
> I think we can never get numbers.

Kswapd/direct reclaim should probably be accounted as A_external,
since A has no limit, so reclaim pressure can not be internal.

On the other hand, one could see the amount of physical memory in the
machine as A's limit and account global reclaim as A_internal.

I think the former may be more natural.

That aside, all memcgs should have the same statistics, obviously.
Scripts can easily deal with counters being zero. If items differ
between cgroups, that would suck a lot.

  Last update: 2011-08-31 08:27    [W:0.371 / U:0.024 seconds]