    SubjectRe: Kernel almost hangs when CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
    On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 12:28:31PM -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
    > No, Linus pushed back really hard last time this issue came up with
    > something; a network driver if I recall correctly.

    r8169 probably.

    > The issue is that this happens *EVEN FOR MODULAR DRIVERS* during
    > suspend/resume. The firmware simply may not be available yet.
    >
    > If the driver fundamentally cannot work without the firmware then it should
    > bind to the device and wait until the first userspace action before requesting
    > firmware.
    >
    > Furthermore, the trend is generally to push the firmware OUT of the kernel
    > binary to avoid any chance of license issues. Even if the code is built-in
    > it should not need built-in firmware.
    >
    > The quickest fix is probably something like this:
    >
    > config DRM_RADEON_FIRMWARE
    > tristate
    > default m if STANDALONE
    > default y
    >
    > config DRM_RADEON
    > depends DRM_RADEON_FIRMWARE
    >
    > That should prevent somebody from building the radeon driver into the
    > kernel unless they manually indicate that they have the extra firmware.
    >
    > Long-term, the driver should support modular firmware even when it's
    > built-in to the kernel.

    Yep, and drivers should be able to select the firmware they need without
    users even needing to do anything about it except installing some
    firmware-nonfree package or whatever.

    Yeah, sounds much better than Kconfig actually aiding and abetting
    firmware blobs in the kernel and users needing to do stuff.

    Thanks.

    --
    Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

      Last update: 2011-08-29 19:23    [W:0.024 / U:61.772 seconds]