    SubjectRe: Kernel almost hangs when CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
    From
    Hi,

    On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de> wrote:

    >> > Alex, Dave, yeah, that's all fine.
    >> >
    >> > The question Peter asked is, how to make this much more understandable
    >> > to the user so that she/he doesn't have to figure it out on their own.
    >> > IOW, if one sets RADEON to =y in Kconfig, it should automatically
    >> > generate a selection menu with all the firmware required so that
    >> > the user can select from it either the CEDAR* or the REDWOOD* (or
    >> > the DOUGHNUT* :-)) ones for her/his card and when the user selects
    >> > one entry, the required strings are added to CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE
    >> > _automatically_.
    >> >
    >> > Maybe even Kbuild should try to find them on the system, and, if
    >> > unable
    >> > to, remind the user to install the needed firmware package.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, something to that effect, the above is just to illustrate the
    >> > intention, I don't know whether it would work. In any case, we're
    >> > lacking user help there and we don't want to put every user through
    >> > the process of finding which firmware files she/he needs when setting
    >> > RADEON=y.
    >> >
    >> > Does that make more sense?
    >>
    >> Oh it makes sense, just neither of us are Kbuild hackers and I'm not sure that'll change at any point :)
    >>
    >> It also sounds like something that could apply to any driver with external firmware.
    >
    > So it seems like all the request_firmware() drivers could use a Kbuild
    > functionality of some sort which presents the user with an option to
    > select the firmware blobs for his hw when those drivers are =y. Hairy.
    >
    > Adding kbuild ML.

    do you want something ala:

    config EXTRA_FIRMWARE
    string
    default ""
    append "FOO" if BAR
    append "FOZ" if BAZ

    or maybe a new type "list" which would behave as a comma/space separated value.

    config EXTRA_FIRMWARE
    list "bla"
    append "FOO" if BAR
    append "FOZ" if BAZ