SubjectRe: Broken pci_block_user_cfg_access interface
On 08/25/2011 08:16 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2011-08-25 15:12, Brian King wrote:

>>> This sounds reasonable to me. Although I think we still have the driver issue
>>> I described in my previous mail. Perhaps the best way to resolve that would
>>> be to allow the adapter driver to register a reset function so that the
>>> driver could be the one driving the reset, allowing the driver to synchronize
>>> the reset with whatever else might be going on and also then reinitialize
>>> the adapter firmware, etc. If no driver was loaded or no driver specific
>>> reset function registered, the current reset mechanism would be invoked.
>>
>> This would also allow the driver to do unique types of resets for different
>> adapter types. Some of the adapters the ipr driver supports need to get
>> reset via BIST, others via PCIe warm reset, etc.
>
> Is this broken ATM? I thought the PCI core would simply try all methods
> + has a quirks section for completely funky devices.

Yes. Its certainly broken for ipr. If the ipr driver is loaded, it really needs
to be the one doing the reset. If its not loaded, I may need to add a few
quirks for these adapters to properly handle this function.

-Brian

--
Brian King
Linux on Power Virtualization

  Last update: 2011-08-25 15:27    [W:0.094 / U:1.168 seconds]