SubjectRe: linux next: Native Linux KVM tool inclusion request
On 8/24/11 11:31 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 08:08 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
>> As for changes, we've implemented rootfs over 9p with "kvm run"
>> booting to host filesystem "/bin/sh" by default.
>
> Isn't this dangerous? Users expect virtualization to land them in
> sandbox, but here an rm -rf / in the guest will happily junk the host
> filesystem.

Not really because I never run the tool as root. However, you're right that
we should not default to /bin/sh if you're root.

>> It still needs some
>> work and we hope to enable networking too. We also have patches to use
>> overlayfs so that the guest is able to use host filesystem in
>> copy-on-write manner.
>
> Still dangerous (but just to the guest), since it's not a true
> snapshot. If the host filesystem changes underneath the guest, it
> will see partial and incoherent updates. Copy-on-write only works if
> the host filesystem doesn't change.

That's a generic problem with overlayfs based solutions, isn't it? We're
planning
to use copy-on-write only on files that aren't supposed to change that
often -
like /usr and /lib. I suppose we should force shared files to be
read-only in
the guest.

Pekka

  Last update: 2011-08-24 11:21    [W:0.432 / U:0.292 seconds]