    SubjectRe: INFO: possible circular locking dependency detected 3.1.0-rc2-00190-g3210d19
    On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:33:34AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

    > So the lockdep report in the RHBZ (which now that I look at it
    > probably isn't the same as this report) seems to be doing a readdir
    > while find is trying to mmap, which is calling into
    > hugetlbfs_file_mmap and throwing the same deadlock warning. Is that
    > like the scenario you are describing above?

    Lockdep records the first trace that leads to locks taken in this
    order. readdir() seems to be the first thing to step on i_mutex
    and mmap_sem (not too surprisingly, come to think of that - directory
    reads happening earlier in the boot than regular file writes).

    So when it reports i_mutex taken under mmap_sem, readdir gets mentioned
    by lockdep. Often leading to comments along the lines of "but this
    inode is not a directory at all; shouldn't we relax the rules for
    non-directories?" Nope; the same ordering very much applies to regular
    files. With s/readdir/write/.

    The bottom line is: don't take i_mutex while holding mmap_sem. Really.

      Last update: 2011-08-22 15:59    [W:0.021 / U:0.056 seconds]