    SubjectRe: FireWire/SBP2 Target mode
    On Aug 17 Chris Boot wrote:
    > Now that we have a nice SCSI target framework in the kernel, and drivers
    > either in-tree or being worked on for iSCSI, FC, FCoE, SAS and iSER, I
    > was wondering about the possibility of adding FireWire to that list.
    > Apple Macs have had a FireWire Target Disk mode for a long time, and

    Side note: This target mode is a feature of their OpenFirmware and EFI
    firmwares, not of the Mac OS and the OS X. Though both firmware- and
    operating-system-implemented SBP-2 targets certainly have their use cases.
    Aside from the SBP-2 target in Macs and from Oracle Endpoint, I only know
    of SBP-2 targets that are built upon dedicated bus bridge silicon.

    > there is even a program called Endpoint[1] that apparently does this on
    > Linux though it looks completely untouched since 2003 and no longer
    > works as it depends on the old FireWire stack.

    It can be made to work again if it and libraw1394 are slightly extended to
    use a different API for Configuration ROM changes. Or Endpoint could be
    ported from libraw1394 to <linux/firewire-cdev.h>. But then it would of
    course not benefit from the generic SCSI target infrastructure, e.g. WRT
    administration, backing storage choices, or command set support.

    > I would very much like to see something like this added to the kernel,
    > and would very much like to contribute to writing this feature. However
    > my kernel development knowledge is very limited indeed so this would
    > require a lot hand-holding and mentoring.
    > What's the interest in such a feature?

    People keep asking for it; very infrequently though.

    > Would anyone be able to give some (a lot?) of their time to help write
    > this?
    > Thanks,
    > Chris
    > [1]

    I for one can answer questions about firewire-core's driver API but do not
    have much spare time for more, for the time being.

    BTW, a kernelspace SBP-2 target drivers would use several of the FireWire
    features that the firewire-net driver uses too. So the sources of that
    driver may be of help where the firewire-core kerneldoc comments are
    missing or are not providing the bigger picture.
    Stefan Richter

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-08-17 21:01    [W:0.021 / U:93.172 seconds]