    SubjectRe: Future of the -longterm kernel releases (i.e. how we pick them).
    On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 12:21:59AM -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:
    > rather than having a hard schedule (the first kernel released after
    > July 1 each year for example I know this is not the exact proposal),
    > I think that it would be better to pick the -longterm kernel a few
    > months after it has been released (3.4 is looking very good, the
    > normal minor driver fixes in -stable, but no fundamental regressions
    > have been reported, it's the new -longerm kernel for example)
    >
    > doing so doesn't give the predictability that some people will want
    > in knowing that their September release will always have a fresh new
    > -longerm kernel, but I think the result would be better -longterm
    > kernels. However, to get the information about how good the kernels
    > are, I think that the -stable timeframe would need to be extended to
    > give the kernels time to settle and gather reports. I would then
    > suggest scheduling that once a year you look at the last couple
    > -stable kernels and pick one of them rather than designating the new
    > -longterm kernel ahead of time.

    Yes, that's a very good idea. I've seen problems in the past when
    distros have made a time-based decision to pick a kernel version and
    then the problems that this can cause if it happens that a subsystem
    really had issues for that release.

    So yes, I'll take a look at the bug reports and how things are working
    out to pick the next -longterm. I'll also take into consideration any
    companies/major users that are going to be using that release as well,
    so it greatly behooves people to talk to me about their plans (hint,
    hint...)

    > I hope my midnight rambling makes some sort of sense :-)

    It did, thanks for the response.

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2011-08-15 16:25    [W:0.020 / U:1.484 seconds]