SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86/spinlocks optional for 3.1
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Sorry for this late pull; testing on this got delayed due to my and
> Ingo's scheduling and the desire to make sure that this would not
> cause a performance regression.
>
> At this time we have good confidence in it, but if you feel this is
> too late feel free to drop it and we'll do it for 3.2.

Hmm. I don't mind it per se, but I hate how this patch that is meant
to combine the inline asm versions into one C version actually creates
*more* lines, and creates *more* inline asm differences between
x86-32/64 due to the xadd.

So quite frankly, I think the patch in this form is totally
self-defeating. I'm not pulling something that is supposed to clean
things up, but just adds more ugliness in some other place.

If that xadd implementation could perhaps be shared, I wouldn't hate
it so much. As it is, I really don't see the point in pulling this.

Linus

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans