    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86/spinlocks optional for 3.1
    On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM, H. Peter Anvin <> wrote:
    > Sorry for this late pull; testing on this got delayed due to my and
    > Ingo's scheduling and the desire to make sure that this would not
    > cause a performance regression.
    > At this time we have good confidence in it, but if you feel this is
    > too late feel free to drop it and we'll do it for 3.2.

    Hmm. I don't mind it per se, but I hate how this patch that is meant
    to combine the inline asm versions into one C version actually creates
    *more* lines, and creates *more* inline asm differences between
    x86-32/64 due to the xadd.

    So quite frankly, I think the patch in this form is totally
    self-defeating. I'm not pulling something that is supposed to clean
    things up, but just adds more ugliness in some other place.

    If that xadd implementation could perhaps be shared, I wouldn't hate
    it so much. As it is, I really don't see the point in pulling this.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-08-02 02:07    [W:0.029 / U:43.360 seconds]