[lkml]   [2011]   [Jul]   [8]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
Messages in this thread
    SubjectRE: [RFC] dmaengine: Moving TI SDMA driver to dmaengine - design plan
    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: Russell King - ARM Linux []
    > Sent: Friday, July 08, 2011 3:34 PM
    > To: Raju, Sundaram
    > Cc:;; Dan;
    > Shilimkar, Santosh;
    > Subject: Re: [RFC] dmaengine: Moving TI SDMA driver to dmaengine - design
    > plan
    > On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 01:52:17PM +0530, Raju, Sundaram wrote:
    > > I am planning to move TI SDMA driver in OMAP tree
    > > into the dmaengine framework.
    > >
    > > The first immediate issue of concern I noticed is the
    > > huge number of client drivers that use the existing SDMA driver.
    > > More than 15 client drivers are using the current SDMA driver.
    > >
    > > Moving the SDMA driver along with all of these client drivers at a
    > > single stretch seems a humungous task.
    > > I noticed a model in the existing DMA drivers in dmaengine
    > > framework that will over come this issue.
    > It _is_ sane to build a dmaengine driver on top of the existing SoC
    > private API, then convert the drivers to DMA engine, and then cleanup
    > the resulting DMA engine driver.

    Yes, that is what I thought. Thanks.

    > What we must make sure though is that the DMA engine slave API (which
    > isn't well documented) is correctly implemented before drivers are
    > converted over to use the DMA engine support code, otherwise we may
    > end up with lots of drivers that require re-fixing several times over.

    Very true! Agreed!
    I will send over the patches for review once I am done with testing.


     \ /
      Last update: 2011-07-08 12:17    [W:0.025 / U:35.748 seconds]
    ©2003-2017 Jasper Spaans. hosted at Digital OceanAdvertise on this site