    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] 3.0-rt4
    Date
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
    > > > The list of disabled config option is now:
    > > >
    > > > - CONFIG_HIGHMEM [ see the mess it created in 33-rt ]
    > >
    > > Could someone please point me to information on this?
    > >
    > > In our setup, we do use PREEMPT_RT + HIGHMEM, on .33 for now (but want
    > > to upgrade because of new hardware support issues with .33). Up to
    > > now, we did not face any issues related to PREEMPT_RT + HIGHMEM
    > > combination.
    >
    > Yes, it works in 33-rt, but the way it's implemented is a horrible
    > hack. I had not enough capacity to implement that cleanly for 3.0-rt,
    > so I simply dropped it for now. The preliminary patches are there
    > (mainly distangling the disable_pagefault logic), so it should not be
    > that hard.

    Thanks Thomas.

    Since we do need PREEMPT_RT + HIGHMEM for our use case (*), I can ask one
    of our engineers to look into this. But for that, I need to get better
    understanding of what the issue is. Could you please explain in a few
    sentences, or point me to some information from where I could get the
    picture?

    Nikita

    (*) we need >1G of memory for data buffers, and have too much legacy
    software components so moving to 64bit system is not practical within
    available resource

      Last update: 2011-07-28 10:27    [W:0.038 / U:0.996 seconds]