    SubjectRe: Linux child process does not core dump
    On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Srinivas Nayak wrote:

    > Hi,
    > In my program, I fork() to get a child process.
    > Because of some problem, child process terminates by a segmentation fault.
    > Parent process is still running.
    > I have compiled my code with -g option.
    > I have done: ulimit -c unlimited.
    > I am not getting core dump of the child process.
    > How can I get the core dump of child process?

    As you've noticed, by default core dumps are usually supressed (ulimit -c
    is 0 (zero)). As you mention yourself, you can change this with "ulimit -c
    unlimited" (or a specific size rather than "unlimited". But there are
    still a few things you need to be aware of:

    1. The ulimit setting you just made only takes effect for the shell that
    you run it in. So if, for example, you are running "ulimit -c unlimited"
    in one xterm and then launch your app from a different xterm, then that
    second xterm will still have "ulimit -c 0" and you won't get your dump. So
    start the app from the same shell that you used to execute "ulimit -c

    2. If your application changes its working directory before crashing, then
    the core dump will be in the directory it changed to, not in the directory
    you launched it from. Be sure you are looking for the "core" file in the
    right location.

    3. If the current working directory of the application is mounted
    read-only or doesn't have sufficient space to write your core dump, then
    you won't get any. Make sure the app's current working directory is
    writable and has sufficient space available.

    Try this for a test:

    $ cat crash.c
    #include <stdlib.h>

    int main()
    $ gcc crash.c
    $ ./a.out
    Aborted (core dumped)
    $ ls -l core
    -rw------- 1 jj users 221184 Jul 28 20:34 core
    $ file core
    core: ELF 64-bit LSB core file x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), SVR4-style, from './a.out'

    Jesper Juhl <>
    Don't top-post
    Plain text mails only, please.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-07-28 20:41    [W:0.022 / U:5.488 seconds]